SCN: Re: [webeditor_discussion] server side includes

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Sat Apr 6 10:43:15 PST 2002

Chantha,

   For whatever reason, server side text includes seem not to be
working as designed any longer on SCN, certainly not in the way
that they have been used for the past several years on SCN's
pages. They appear to still work partially, but something is
wrong with how they are set up. For example, look at the text
includes for the search box on any of the SCN community pages
that haven't been redesigned lately. Instead of displaying the
text for the search box (contained in the text of a centrally
located include file), the Web server displays only the HTML
tags for them:

   <!--#include virtual="/include/search.html"--> (or whatever)

   My guess is that some anti-social Operations person has
silently disabled an essential part of the Apache server
configuration that defines what kinds of server-side includes
the Web server can interpret. That was a configuration setup
that we depended on when designing the overall site a couple of
years ago. In other words, some parts of the site now simply no
longer function. It is disappointing to see this capability
being lost, because it was a good way to avoid having to
hand-edit code on each of hundreds of separate pages.

Rod Clark