SCN: Freeware Image Editing Tools

patrick fisher clariun at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 18:51:04 PDT 2002

Actually, I just need something simple for web pictures: resize, crop, auto-adjust
color, and "save as" at different resolutions. Photoshop is overkill. Photoshop
light is overkill.

Actually, Gimp is on the Mac, if you have OS X: Gimp originated on Linux and it was
rather easily ported over to Mac OS X which is Unix. You can have a gander at
www.macgimp.com.

Which is nice, because a lot of Linux apps are being modified to run on Mac OSX. And
Unix apps run well in the shell portion of OS X.

Patrick

--- Al Boss <alboss at scn.org> wrote:
> > ...A million miles from Photoshop: which is where I want to stay.
>
> Is that because of functionality or price?
>
> There's a Windows version of the venerable general public license image
> editing software with the politically incorrect name, GIMP (Gnu Image
> Manipulation Program, I think) at http://www.gimp.org/. They've even got
> some new Windows installers that automatically add in the gif editing
> software, for those people who don't live in nations that honor Unisys'
> patent on gifs. So, don't download that unless you're one of them
> law-breakers...
>
> GIMP, sadly, has not been ported to the Mac, but since you've already
> got Mac software you like, this should do it for the Windows side. It
> may be, however, a little more powerful than you wanted, if that's what
> you meant by staying a million miles from Photoshop. On the other hand,
> I found the GIMP help files to be helpful--what a concept!
>
> Best,
>
> Al

=====
Webmaster
Seattle Community Network
http://www.scn.org
"Powering our communities with technology"