SCN: Correlation between drug use and terrorism

Scot Harkins on scn.org scoth at scn.org
Sun Apr 14 16:53:19 PDT 2002

People use drugs for a variety of reasons, most of them arguably in
response to socio-economic conditions, many more because of social
acceptance of recreational use of harder drugs (elevating to addiction
and associated supportive behavior).

People drive vehicles to move themselves and a variety of other things
around, much of it in support of economic activities necessary to our
society.

I'd say our consumption of oil far exceeds our consumption, in dollar
terms, of illegal drugs.  Whether that contributes directly to
terrorism is the question.  If we prop up regimes that suppress
freedom in order to keep our oil flowing then we might well be working
harder to create and support terrorism than all the addicts in the
world.

If we want to suppress possible terrorism and save our own wilderness
resources filled with mere drops of oil then we should take
conservation seriously, but then I fear I'm preaching to the choir in
this arena.

If we want to suppress drug use, at least as escape from social and
economic ills, then we need to address those areas, and not with
simple (read idiotic) programs that do not actually solve anything.

Oh, dear...I feel the slippery slope of continuing arguments and the
bewailing of our ills and how to fix them (God, no, wait, Allah, no,
wait, Mother Earth...).

I know what.  Let's all do our best.  Use less, re-use more, support
those in need, including helping them evade the trap of drugs and
addiction.  Be good.  Fight evil.  Don't let the big corps win at
ruling the world (even if they don't realize what they're doing on an
individual level), and don't let the governments of the world continue
bullying...wait, I'm getting beyond the power of individuals.  Back to
use less, re-use more, help others.

Ciao!
sh

--