Disparity Re: BD: Re: SCN: "Free-Nets" in Los Angeles Times

Al Boss alboss at scn.org
Tue Jan 8 14:18:12 PST 2002

I'm all for us finding ways to fund ourselves. I do think, though, that
we should look into one that at least 3/4 of us agree is a good idea.

Overlooking all sides of the argument about whether or not we could
legally charge for a higher level of Internet service and what kind of
expenses we'd need toward overhead like people, places, and stuff, I
just don't think it makes any business sense.

The ISP business is pretty well-saturated here. And the profit margins
are not very good. And most new ones don't survive. I'd guess that ISPs
chances of turning a sustainable profit are about the same as those of a
  new restaurant. Most restaurants fail in their first year of business.

If we want to sell something to augment our operating costs, we should
consider selling something less labor-intensive and with a better return
on investment than Internet service. (No, not our bodies. I love you
guys, but there's a limit.)

Holding bake sales at the exit gates of rock concerts would get us a
whole lot more money for less headache than trying to provide a low-cost
ISP service. (And it would be more entertaining.) Having SCN volunteers
donating fees from consulting on network security, doing computer
repairs, or ghost-writing flame mails seems more viable to me than a lot
of what we've been discussing in this thread.

Al