SCN: SeattleWireless.net and Community Wireless Networking

Doug Schuler douglas
Thu Jan 24 13:39:50 PST 2002

-----> please send this to anybody who might be interested...

               Special Guest Presentation

   SeattleWireless.net and Community Wireless Networking

             Ken Caruso and Matt Westervelt
              http://SeattleWireless.net/

              Saturday, January 26, 2002
                  11:00AM - 12:30 PM
                      Library 1612
              The Evergreen State College

Wireless networking technology suggests a variety of intriguing
possibilities for community and civic communications.

As a special guest presentation for the "Digital City"  program at
Evergreen, Ken Caruso and Matt Westervelt will give a general overview of
the purpose and mission of the SeattleWireless.net project. They will also cover some basics of 802.11b wireless networking technology in addition to
describing their social vision.

Seattle was recently the site of a recent wireless community networking
summit (http://SeattleWireless.net/index.cgi/SummitJanuary2002) which had
representatives from major projects.

>From the SeattleWireless web page, "SeattleWireless Idea":

Wouldn't it be interesting to walk down the street with your 802.11b
laptop or PDA and be able to access your home machine? Or the business
that you're walking by? Or even the Internet?

Of course it would, but that would require expensive hardware and setup
costs, and a recurring monthly fee....  right?

Actually, it will cost you something, but done correctly it won't cost
nearly as much as commercial wireless data services. It will cost some
money for the hardware, some of your time, and perhaps a small amount of
electricity.  SeattleWireless is about providing a place to develop and
discuss next-generation community wireless networks.

We want to create a wireless network infrastructure that is easy to set up
for the end user, has no recurring monthly fees, and is owned and operated
by its users (that's you!), not a corporation.

This is not an easy undertaking and it will require thought and a good
plan. That's why we're here, and that's why this site exists. We use
MoinMoin so that everyone can contribute to the ideas, the technology, and
the execution of this project.

The good news is that we are not alone; other groups in other cities are
doing the same thing. We collect links to these groups in our UsefulLinks.

A community wireless network can also provide vital services in times of
diasasters. Have ideas or suggestions on just how to make something like
this work?
-------

For more information about this presentation
contact Doug Schuler, dschuler at evergreen.edu