SCN: Pegasus

Randy Groves randy at scn.org
Fri Mar 15 09:02:41 PST 2002

No - but the setup for an IMAP client can be more complicated than POP -
with the multiplicity of server and mailbox configuration options.  I must
admit that I haven't delved into this myself, partly because I didn't feel
like mastering the syntax.  It's probably not bad, just another thing to
learn.  If we set up Pine to do the defaults correctly, then it should be
easy for people to test.

AND

This is a major problem - using IMAP, there is no connection at this point
between being able to receive (this is for external IMAP clients
connecting via TCP/IP) and send out through SCN to external mail
addresses.  Our POP setup includes a 'POPrelay' timer - we're one of the
few free services that have implemented this - most just restrict SMTP
traffic entirely.  IMAP doesn't have this timer implemented at this point
(there are options to use a slightly different mechanism, but the scheme
is still the same).  So users who opt for IMAP will be able to receive
mail on their external client - I just tried it, it works fine - but since
IMAP doesn't set the 'outbound relay OK' timer, they won't be able to
send.

This 'outbound-relay' problem is the main reason that we haven't
implemented IMAP generally.  The problem is solvable, but no work has been
done on this yet.  The current trend is to assume that clients will have
the capability to do some sort of SMTP authorization - which is OK if you
assume that everybody can afford to keep up with the current trends.

And, since this service is definitely a plus compared to other free
services available, we should most assuredly consider this as high
priority for the new services we need soonest.

-randy