No subject

patrick fisher clariun at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 30 17:22:18 PST 2002

Funny, no one has clarified, or even mentioned, what specific mission SCN could
have. Also, no one has mentioned what SCN lacks, or whatever, to reason why it may
partner elsewhere.

I didn't intend to imply anything for SCN with mentioning other organizations.
However, I've been pretty clear about having low-cost or free internet access
similar to that offered by "regular" ISPs.

This would mean something similar to the freenet in Tampa Bay, Floriday. They have
something good going.

Patrick

--- "J. Johnson" <jj at scn.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Doug Schuler wrote:
>
> > "Being" SCN doesn't mean staying exactly the way we are now!
>
>    For sure.  But would this experiment really be a success if it required
> changing our purposes, fundamental values, and every key element and
> characteristic--everything but the name plate--beyond all recognition?
>
>   It seems to me that we should not be jumping onto some business model
> because it seems to be successful.  Rather, we should inquire into what it
> takes to make _our_ model successful.  Other examples can be illustrative,
> but each case is different, has different factors, and it can take a bit
> of careful study to tease out just what the correct lesson is.  And as
> successful organizations often have no idea what makes them successful, it
> is necessary to also study unsuccessful organizations.

=====
Webmaster
Seattle Community Network
http://www.scn.org
"Powering our communities with technology"