SCN: telnet access on Eastside

Bill Scott bk846 at scn.org
Wed May 1 13:43:45 PDT 2002

> OK, tried a little more experimentation to be sure and got the usual
> "--except when...." kind of answer. As far as I can see from trying at two
> KCLS libraries (Skyway and Kent Regional) you can't get telnet access just
> by typing "telnet:// " but on many, but not all, of their computers
> designated for internet access when you go to the" infonet " from
> www.kcls.org there is a choice called "gateway to the internet" which
> allows you to go to SCN, SPL , UW and a few other places. I'm sure that it
> is using the telnet function to do that but it is done in their gateway
> program not by the user. I would guess that the easiest way would be to
> rename "telnet" to something else that the sysadmin chose to call the same
> program and have it work from clicking a box or something like that
rather than actually typing in a command.

I suspect that like many similar setups the person maintaining the system
has done some things to block TELNET but that there are hidden spots where
it functions as part of a utility that the current sysadmin may not even
know about. I use only library computers ( Seattle, King County, Renton
Public Library) since I don't have one at home and have found that there
are differences between the computers at the same branch and significant
ones when you change buildings or go to one run by a different library
system.

For all this rambling the point is that with a bit of investigation the
person who needed to access SCN from the Eastside should be able to do so
either through INFONET on the KCLS website or Gateway to the
Internet(text-only) on some catalog terminals. I have managed to get in
several different ways (and occasionally failed at certain
terminals/locations). I've lost track of who the person who needed access
was but if he/she would like on site help just send me a direct note and
we can work out a time to meet at one of the libraries that he/she would
be using.

Bill Scott
bk846

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, patrick fisher wrote:
>
> > Okay,will further clarify:
> >
> > No telnet is available at the libraries. You can telnet from home. That is the only
> > way I can get in, because the Java browser for the library is too clunky.
> >
> > At the library, instead of telnet, at some of the terminals at least, you can
> > "telnet" (not a telnet program), you can log into a number of services.
> >
> > Patrick
> >

> > --- Randy Groves <randy at scn.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just tried it here from home - when I click on 'Infonet Catalog' on my
> > > Mac, NCSA Telnet starts up.  Same thing on my PC.  So I'm assuming, unless
> > > something is different in the libraries, that is what is happening there
> > > too.  So, if they've disabled Telnet, then this wouldn't work.  Of course,
> > > they could be using a different address and web page inside the libraries.
> > > I haven't had the opportunity to get on one recently.
> > >
> > > BTW - watch out what you type - I was surprised at what I found at
> > > www.kcls.com ...
> > >
> > > -randy

> > > log
> > > libraries.)