SCN: SCNA: Common interest

Joel Ware, IV jw4 at scn.org
Sun Jul 3 10:10:27 PDT 2011

Al,Well said!
Regards,         -Joel.

Joel Ware, IV

Email: joelware at yahoo.com
Phone: (206) 250-5950 (mobile)

--- On Sat, 7/2/11, Al Boss <alboss at sisypheans.org> wrote:

From: Al Boss <alboss at sisypheans.org>
Subject: Re: RE: SCNA kaput -- irrevocably?
To: jw4 at scn.org, "Steve Guest" <steve at steve-guest.com>, "Randy Groves" <randomgrace at gmail.com>, ljbeedle at scn.org, douglas at publicsphereproject.org, kgillgren at igc.org, jj at scn.org, douglas at cpsr.org, steve at advocate.net, jmabel at speakeasy.org, jimh at scn.org, bb615 at scn.org, anamioka at gmail.com, "Ti Locke-Computer Giveaway" <tgreyraven at yahoo.com>, "Alan Miller" <akmyah at yahoo.com>
Cc: scn at scn.org
Date: Saturday, July 2, 2011, 8:49 AM

Hi, everyone.
I just tried to calculate out the cumulative number of years of service to SCN are reflected in the list of people in the "To" line, and the resulting number looks more like a zip code than it looks like anything else.

That's a fantastic testimony to our commitment to the goals, ideas, and realities behind SCN. It's also a huge liability; it means we have had a lot of time to get on one another's nerves.

SCN and SCNA have always tended to draw the interest of really strong personalities who are passionate about what we're trying to do. That's probably the biggest contributing factor to our success and longevity. It's also probably the line along which we are, and always have been, the most likely to fracture and break.

We can't learn from our past if we ignore it. We all know that.  At the same time, I think our organization's grip on life isn't all that strong. Now seems like a good time to focus on what we want to do and how we think we can get there. There will be a time to focus on what we didn't want to do and how we think we got where we are, and I think that'll be necessary to our continued survival, but I also think that if that's where we start then the risk is too high that it's where we end as well.

We don't all like one another. We don't all necessarily respect one another. But we're what we have, and one way or another we all care and have something we think we can contribute or we wouldn't be on this email thread. I'm hoping we can all keep our focus on the common ground as much as we can for as long as we can.

Fair? Possible? Agreeable?
Best,
Al