SCN: SCNA general meeting 6/9.

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Tue Jun 12 13:55:55 PDT 2012

Alan Miller has said that some of the comments I reported from the meeting
were taken out of context.  Which I find curious.  I am sure that everyone
on this list understands the broader context of a decade and more of a
dysfunctional organization, and the history thereof, and the persons
involved.  That there is not more "context" from the meeting itself --
well, did anyone else think to take notes?  If anyone feels I have
misreported anything please tell us so that the record (such as it is) can
be corrected.  Because lacking a prepared agenda and recorded notes, this
meeting is now just a bunch of divergent, fading memories.

Several of us were some what surprised to hear the Board had enough
gumption to call a meeting, let alone show enough intitiative to call for
some suggestions.  But it seems like they didn't.  It appears that the
prime mover here is Randy ("technical consultant to the Board"), who
figured out how some nifty applications (i.e., WikiMedia and a blog
package) could be plugged into SCN.  So the Board wasn't asking for
suggestions regarding SCN/SCNA at all.  They were reacting to being
completely df'ed by a particular possibility. And they have absolutely no
more conception of how to manage this then they have ever had.

And that is the crux of the problem.  The SCNA Board is quite inable to
manage the organization in their charge.  They can't even manage
themselves, to the extent of holding the legally required meetings.  (But
they do have "errors and omissions" insurance, lest anyone sues them.)
Being unable to manage some simple services, they have this idea that
adding complex services will automatically fix everything.  Which raises
the edifice higher, but fixes nothing.

I would be more impressed if they would honestly try to fix a few
problems, rather than stack them higher.

* * * * * * * *  From the Listowner  * * * * * * * *
To unsubscribe send a message to:  majordomo at scn.org
In the body of the message, type:  unsubscribe scn