[Ci4cg-announce] Great Opportunity for everybody!

Marcus Foth m.foth at qut.edu.au
Thu Jan 28 14:43:14 PST 2016

Hi Doug and all

some replies below.

Hope you are well
cheers, marcus

--
Professor Marcus Foth

i/Director, QUT Design Lab
School of Design, Creative Industries Faculty
Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
m.foth at qut.edu.au – @sunday9pm – www.vrolik.de

CRICOS No. 00213J

ACM Designing Interactive Systems (DIS’16)
Brisbane, June 4-8 – @DIS2016 – www.dis2016.org

> On 29 Jan 2016, at 6:56 AM, Doug Schuler <douglas at publicsphereproject.org> wrote:
>
> Please take a moment to send me a reply to at least one of these 7 questions. I think / hope that this work will be useful to all of us!
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> 1. If you were going to ask the entire CI4CG group one (or more) questions, what would it / they be?

Arguably the largest, greatest common good we have is planet Earth. And we have consensus on the fact that there are thus limits to growth, established by the famous Club of Rome study in 1972: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

Besides arguing about details, the core premise remains valid, and has also been fantastically illustrated by Al Bartlett’s famous lecture: http://www.albartlett.org/

More recently, we have people such as Noami Klein and Ozzie Zehner, the latter arguing that we don’t face an energy crisis but a consumption crisis.

http://thischangeseverything.org
http://www.greenillusions.org

So my question to the group is simple:

How can we enlist, engage, recruit, employ the Collective Intelligence of humanity for the Common Good of humanity and end the era of growth towards a prosperous descent?

http://simplicityinstitute.org/publications

> 2. What definition of Collective Intelligence for the Common Good would you suggest?
> (Or: what attributes might it have?)

Based on Aristotle’s famous quote, "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts," Collective Intelligence for the Common Good is the study and practice of social and technical approaches to enable humanity to be greater than the sum of all humans. The common good represents the common goal to be conserving our basis of existence, the survival of humanity and all living beings that we share this planet with.

> 3. Imagine a CI4CG event that you’d really like to attend. What would it look like?
> (Feel free to describe a broad vision or just an interesting element.)

I think it may be a mix of:

Burning Man
Woodstock
Mardi Gras
and the General Assembly of the United Nations

> 4. What are some of the barriers that stand between our work and the outcomes we’d like to see?

1. Academic echo chambers: We yell into a publication audience that tends to be just us.

2. The greedy political Right that is more likely to listen to industry donations than research evidence
Donald Trump
Sarah Palin
Vladimir Putin
Robert Mugabe
Bashar al-Assad
Tony Abbott
Malcolm Turnbull
and other neoliberal bigots...

> 5. Please describe one or more ways in which members of the Collective Intelligence for the Common Good Community / Network might be able to build on the work you're doing.

We have published this paper as a bit of a manifesto that answers this question quite well I think:

Foth, M., Tomitsch, M., Satchell, C., & Haeusler, M. (2015, Dec 7-10). From Users to Citizens: Some Thoughts on Designing for Polity and Civics. In Proceedings of OZCHI. Melbourne, VIC. http://eprints.qut.edu.au/88937/

> 6. Please send 1-10 sentences from a paper or from anything that you've written — whether or not it's published or not — that you think is pertinent.

Foth, M., Tomitsch, M., Satchell, C., & Haeusler, M. (2015, Dec 7-10). From Users to Citizens: Some Thoughts on Designing for Polity and Civics. In Proceedings of OZCHI. Melbourne, VIC. http://eprints.qut.edu.au/88937/

Foth, M., Brynskov, M., & Ojala, T. (Eds.) (2015). Citizen’s Right to the Digital City: Urban Interfaces, Activism, and Placemaking. Singapore: Springer. ISBN 978-981-287-917-2. http://eprints.qut.edu.au/78107/

Foth, M., & Brynskov, M. (2016, in press). Participatory Action Research for Civic Engagement. In E. Gordon, & P. Mihailidis (Eds.), Civic Media: Technology, Design, Practice. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. http://eprints.qut.edu.au/84026/

Foth, M. (2015, Dec 2). Australia needs an innovation ‘skunkworks.’ The Conversation. http://eprints.qut.edu.au/90977/

> 7. Please list 2-5 (or more) topics that are the most relevant to your CI4CG work now and where you'd like to see it in the future. This could be traditional (or new) disciplines, focal populations (such as children or low-income communities), specific geographical areas, cross-cutting areas (methodology, integration, etc.), objectives, specific foci (e.g. online deliberation), tools, etc. etc.

Stuff we are working on and/or I’d like to get going:

..  depolarisation of social media to foster a diverse discourse towards a healthier public sphere

..  beyond remedies: tackling the causes of the domestic violence crisis in Australia

..  from energy efficieny gains to energy reduction: new approaches to change behaviours and attitudes

..  the local government beyond roads, rates and rubbish: towards urban innovation hubs

..  beekeepers unite: odour sensing in beehives to tackle pests and diseases

..  more than start-ups and tech entrepreneurship fetishism: innovation ‘skunkworks’