[Pattern-language] Domesticating Pattern Languages

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Tue Apr 14 20:57:16 PDT 2015

In case anybody is interested, here's the  abstract that Aldo and I submitted to the pattern language conference this summer in Krems, Austria.

We'd love any thoughts you may have.

— Doug

Domesticating Pattern Languages
Meta-patterns and the Development of Pattern Language Use Methodology

Douglas Schuler
Aldo de Moor

In the 2014 PURPLSOC workshop Schuler presented eleven “seeds” as challenges that must be addressed if pattern languages are to effectively promote social change. Here we focus on two seeds: meta-patterns and methodology. Meta pattern languages are pattern language whose domain is pattern languages. In theory this pattern language could be used to help design workshops and games, construct sub-languages using existing and new patterns, and manage ongoing pattern-based projects. Existing pattern languages capture essential lessons and linkages between those patterns. However, those patterns are somewhat idealized and "frozen." To use them in actual situations, stakeholders must select the right patterns, ensure their suitability and customize them, and develop and execute a plan. In practice, such appropriation leading to effective use does not happen by itself: stakeholders need additional guidance. We identified candidate meta-patterns themes that include all aspects of possible pattern use life-cycles, including pattern creation, evaluation, planning, problem-mapping, project generation, etc. In the context of teaching a college program using the Liberating Voices pattern language we gathered information at various stages of 10 quarter-long group projects, including what types of projects they are proposing, which patterns they selected for use in the project, and how they used the patterns — and why. We believe that a closer look at how patterns are used (in the fullest sense) will help identify meta-patterns and how these meta-patterns are used together will help identify methodologies and other approaches to more effective pattern use.

Douglas Schuler
douglas at publicsphereproject.org <mailto:douglas at publicsphereproject.org>
Twitter: @doug_schuler

Creating the World Citizen Parliament
     http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament <http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (project)
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (book)
     http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601 <http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601>