[Pattern-language] Domesticating Pattern Languages

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Thu Apr 16 15:41:42 PDT 2015

Helmut,

I'm also looking forward to the conference!

I'm interested in your points because it will be certainly easier for the
pattern language community to collaborate if we can agree on some
definitions.

Aldo and I have been using the expression meta-patterns because the
idea (at least ultimately) is to write a pattern language whose domain
is pattern languages. (Alexander's domain was architecture, the  built
environment).

Our use of "meta" is in keeping  with examples such as metamathematics
(mathematics about mathematics) and metatheory (theory  about theories).

If we were going to write a pattern language on pattern language research,
I'd think it were just an "ordinary" pattern language.  (first order pattern language?)

To my mind the example you use for a BUILDING isn't convincing. To my
mind BUILDING could be a pattern that "solved" the problem of the need for
enclosure. True it's more general than SCHOOL BUILDING but a SCHOOL
BUILDING FOR ART is more specific than SCHOOL BUILDING but that
doesn't mean that SCHOOL  BUILDING couldn't be a pattern.

I extended this conversation to  the group.  I'm assuming that's OK with
Helmut.

Thanks!

— Doug