[Pattern-language] Note to the Evergreen language faculty ~~ Thanks in advance for distributing!

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Mon Feb 22 17:33:14 PST 2016

Miguel et al,

We are moving forward with translations which is very exciting. it looks like Arabic is next!

The translation effort is very interesting because the LV patterns don't lend themselves to "literal" translations because they describe concepts.

Based on the discussion below, the very concept of "pattern language" is difficult to translate.

Any thoughts on these issues??

BTW, many languages are still eager for more pattern card text to written in them! I hear calls for German, French, Russian, and almost every other one as well!

Thanks!

— Doug

PS. Over the past year or so I've been getting a number of translations for the pattern cards (which are abbreviated versions of the patterns). In fact we now have Spanish translations for all 136 patterns (http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns_spanish), approximately 90 in Mandarin (http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns_chinese), and smaller numbers of translations in Russian, French, Korean, German, Serbian, Hebrew, and Greek. It now looks like we have some interest in Arabic and Portuguese as well. (To see the current state of the various translations, go to http://www.publicsphereproject.org/ and click on the PATTERN LANGUAGE tab just under the Public Sphere Project logo at the top of the page.)

> Hola Doug,
>
> It's an interesting question for linguistic inquiry. "Lenguaje" is certainly appropriate; as for patterns, "patrones" is indeed correct, but "pautas" could be an alternative that sounds to me more like patterns as guidelines.  I think whichever word is familiar to the most readers, and that might be patrones. Thanks for the link, I'll explore further. Several students took me up on reading a sample selection.
>
> Saludos,
> David

Creating the World Citizen Parliament
     http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament <http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2013/creating-the-world-citizen-parliament>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (project)
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/lv <http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/>

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution (book)
 http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601 <http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601>