alt.sex.*

Bob Kennewick bobk
Thu Jun 1 14:04:26 PDT 1995

  I would like to request that the alt.sex.* groups be part of the SCN
  newsfeed.  They are among the most popular on the Internet and I'm sure
  a lot of people on SCN would read them and find them more useful than
  most other newsgroups.  It is a topic most people have at least a passing
  interest in.

  I would also like to make sure that after all the talk about free speech
  on the SCN mailing lists (state legislation, CMU, etc), that SCN practices
  what it preaches and does not censor the newsfeed.  I would like to see SCN
  reaffirm its commitment to protecting controversial free speech and make a
  clear statement that sexual topics are acceptable on SCN.

  On a related note, I hope everyone gets a chance to read and participate
  in the discussion on SCN censorship on scn.general.  SCN needs to clarify
  whether harassment is an exception to its free speech commitment and if
  so, to clearly define what constitutes harassment.  (I am cross-posting
  this message to scn.general.)

  I sincerely hope that when faced with its own real world decisions on what
  were previously theoretical commitments to free speech that SCN does not
  waver.  Protecting controversial speech is the first principle in the SCN
  policy statement.  If we water down our free speech commitment, I would be
  in favor of just deleting it altogether from the policy statement.

  Bob