Candidates

Aki Namioka anamioka at grace.rt.cs.boeing.com
Thu Jun 1 15:25:24 PDT 1995

Below is a list of candidates for the first SCN elections.  I have not
gotten acknowledgements from all nominated candidates that they really
want to run, therefore, they are listed as unconfirmed.

Thanks, Aki

STEVE BANERIAN
I would like to nominate Steve Banerian.  No one has worked harder on
more aspects of SCN the last few months.  He has done more to help
both volunteers and users than anyone.  Along with participating in
many of the Services open houses and road trips, Steve handles many
system administration duties, including working this past weekend to
finally get the SCN newsfeed going.  He is the most active volunteer
in interacting with users on the FreePort system.

Although Steve handles himself well in a discussion, he is more of a doer
than a talker.  By being an active participant and getting his hands dirty
on both SCN and the Internet, he has become, in my opinion, the most
knowledgeable person on SCN about this organization, the Internet and
community networks in general.  He understands what it will take for SCN
to be successful and more importantly he will get things done.  I know
that when I want to get anything done on SCN, Steve is the one person I
can turn to.  It will be real nice to have that kind of person on the
board to finally get things moving.

Steve Banerian will get things accomplished and deserves to be on the
initial board of directors. (nominating statement)

TONY BARBAN (not confirmed yet)

CARLOS CRUZ (not confirmed yet)

RANDY GROVES

MICHAEL HANSON
I would like to nominate michael hanson for a position on the Board of
Directors of SCN.  He has assisted new users with SCN, use of the
freeport system, and in finding solutions to users' problems.  He has
started the offline news-and-mail reading area, writing the scripts and
freeport-work-arounds necessary to make it work.  This has been a very
useful utility area for users. (nominating statement)

JIM HORTON
Jim Horton would be a valuable asset as one of our interim SCN
Board members and I would like to take this opportunity to nominate him.
Jim has been with SCN a long, long time--somewhere near it's
inception--and has always been involved, sometimes behind the scenes,
currently as the head of the SCN Roadshow, which takes SCN out to the
community.  He has been an inspiration to us all with his consistent
level-headedness and good humor. (nominating statement)

NANCY KUNITSUGU (not confirmed yet)

AKI NAMIOKA
I have had the pleasure of working on this project since it started in
1992 and it has been an extremely rewarding 3 years!  My philosophy
in volunteering on the project is to put my money where my mouth is,
i.e. where there is work to be done, do it.  Over the past three years
I have been the Policy Committee focal point, which has produced the
policy statement, the code of etiquette, the bylaws, the disclaimer,
and the current elections process.  We are currently working on
incorporating the SCN Association and filing the necessary 501(c)(3)
papers.  I have also worked as as a Services Mentor bringing more than
8 organizations onto SCN, and I have tried to share this information
with other Mentors by developing and giving periodic Mentor Workshops.
As a participant on the Outreach Committee, I have given several
presentations on SCN, most recently at the Joint Washington and Idaho
Library Association meeting in Spokane.  In February, I joined the
Webmasters group and helped Sustainable Seattle build a Web site on
SCN.  I look forward to working with the Seattle Community Network
Association to build an organization that is active in advocating our
policy beliefs and at the same time maintaining and developing a
community network that meets the needs of its users.

LORRAINE POZZI
As one of the "founding mothers" of SCN, and more recently as
co-founder of the Women's Center within SCN, I bring a unique
perspective to the organization.  While I have great respect and
appreciation for the technical expertise that has made this stage of
development possible, I believe it is imperative that SCN develop
strengths in other areas as well -- i.e., community building,
fundraising, board development, and public relations.  I have had
experience serving on other non-profit boards, have written and
contributed to several successful grant proposals, and helped draft
bylaws for two non-profit groups.  I have worked with many community
leaders.  I am committed to ensuring that SCN become a more diverse,
more helpful, and more friendly organization, and be truly
representative of the community.

JOE RODGERS
If elected, I commit to:
1) Spending as much of my time with SCN as I feel healthy with,
and no more.
2) Promote healthy limits in others: no volunteer work is worth
making yourself and others crazy.
3)  Work towards changing the organizational model of SCN from
a 'supply side' economy, to a service oriented community.
4) Improving my attitude by placing credit where credit is due
in addition to the criticism that I give so freely.
5) Become a qualified mentor, and get 3 new IP's on line within
the next year.
6) Work towards improving the design cycle of this service's
'look and feel'.

JAMES RUSSELL
I would also like to nominate James Russell.  I have been told
that James can explain SCN usage in a simple and clear manner
to new people and is invariably patient.  These are valuable
resources. (nominating statement)

ERIC RUTHFORD
I have been a regular user of the Seattle Community Network for the past
eight months.  I have participated in the many fora of SCN, and I am very
familiar with its workings.  If elected, I plan to make SCN a larger
place with more outside connections with the WWW, telnet, and perhaps
FTP.  I am thoroughly committed to both privacy and free speech.  I will
defend these two things while making SCN an environment free of
harassment.

JEREMY SCHERTZINGER
I believe as a member of the SCN board I could present a point of view
unlike many others.  I can bring the voices of the younger users of
SCN and help create a more balanced board.  Thank you.  (As a side
note, I will be away from Seattle all of July with no net access for
the most part.)

DOUG SCHULER
I am very happy to accept Kevin Higgins' nomination to the Seattle Community
Network board.   Our vision of a free community network system for Seattle and
the King County region is becoming a reality and I would be proud to serve in
this important role as an interim board member.

I am one of the original founders of the system and did much of the earliest
work in bringing information about community networks - including the Cleveland
Free-Net, the San Monica PEN system, the New York Youth Network, and Big Sky
Telegraph in Montana - to our attention here in Seattle.  I was instrumental in
developing the original principles and I wrote the original editorial that was
in the Seattle Times.  I, along with Aki Namioka, presented the first vision of
SCN at Kay Bullitt's house, along with Lorraine Pozzi and many others.  I also
presented the SCN "vision" at the Community Introduction at the Seattle Public
Library and worked with Randy Groves, Yvonne Chen, and Jim Taylor to develop the
"memorandum of understanding" between SCN and the Library that helped lead to
SCN's outstanding relationship with the Library.  In addition, as the former
chair of the outreach committee, I worked on several proposals including one
for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting which yielded two years of
part-time volunteer coordination support for a joint project with public
television KCTS/9.

I have been working in the area of social implications of computing for over 13
years and I am currently the chair of Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility.  I have attended both "Ties that Bind" community networking
conferences and I am active nationally in promoting community networking.  To
this end I wrote "Community Networks: Building a New Participatory Medium" for
the Communications of the ACM and I'm nearing completion of a book entitled "New
Community Networks - Weaving Electronic Webs for the 21st Century" to be
published this Fall by Addison-Wesley.

I feel that I have been instrumental in launching the Seattle Community Network.
I am eager to continue in that role as we make SCN an important and enduring
resource for the entire region.   As an interim director I feel that the most
important contribution we could make would be to help assess the challenges and
opportunities facing SCN today and to make a set of recommendations for the new
board.

BARBARA WEISMANN
I have served on the Council of a major co-op, as well as worked
with a new citizen action group to form and pass its Bylaws.
I have worked for the past five years with non-profits and
understand the requirements of all aspects of their
functioning.  I would be happy to fulfill the position of
interim Board.

----- End Included Message -----