Let's All Take a Deep Breath

banerian spban at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 3 11:33:37 PDT 1995

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Lucys wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Brian Lenihan wrote:
> > I don't see a clean way out of this mess, so I propose that we back up and
> > that SCN scraps the election and an interim Board is appointed by the
> > coordinating council. Anything else would be incredibly destructive, as
> > recent events have proved.
>
>   TO ALL:
>    I agree with Brian's observations, and I 'second' his proposal to
>   scrap the elections.
>    Although I am a proponent of democracy and open discussions, I
>   agree that SCN needs some *stability* as an organization.
>   I think Brian's proposal has a lot of 'common sense'.

I wouldn't object to scrapping the elections, but with a couple provisos:

1) at least one of the interim board members not be "one of the original
members of SCN" to keep a little bit of diveristy in viewpoint available.

2) an elections  committee be set up to recommend
election/voting/nomination prodedures.  sure, another committee.... :-)
but it just might help make things go a little smoother when the "real"
elections occur.

FYI, if you read alt.online-services.freenet (now available on SCN!)
you'll see a thread called "crisis in freenets"  SCN is not alone in its
growing pains.

--
s banerian
spban at eskimo.com