MOO's (was Re: connection to other freenets)

Michael Hanson michaelh at scn.org
Mon Jun 19 19:09:43 PDT 1995

> bobk said:
>   SCN should also consider setting up some connections to some MOO's.

Why should we do this?  Specifically:
Are MOO's available through other low-cost methods?
Is there a great demand for MOO's among SCN's users or potential users?
(Does the demand warrant taking resources from our other efforts?)

1. Are Moo's available through any other channel?  Can they be reached
via gopher/WWW from the library menus.  There is no point in our
duplicating things that are already available, when our time and
resources might better be used to create services that don't
already exist.

2. SCN seems to be rather dead (or at least in hibernation) right now
- it has been over a month since any new information areas/IP's were
announced.  I think our priority should be to get more local
information channels going.  Before we add access to other fun
technical tools - we should see what users - potential and actual
really want or need.  We can not yet adequately support our venture
into the web.  We should try to be user driven - focusing on helping
local people to get connected, rather than being technology driven -
spending our effort and computing resources on technology just
because it is available.

--
	Michael Hanson       (michael at scn.org) Seattle, WA, USA
Advocating increased mobility - whether physical or electronic as a