Read Me (fwd)

Carlos Cruz carlos at scn.org
Sat Apr 27 00:01:49 PDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
On February 20, 1996, the Salt Lake City School Board voted to ban all
clubs in order to keep a Gay/Lesbian/Straight Alliance from forming at
East High School.  Despite numerous phone calls and countless letters, the
board seems to remain recalcitrant.

Salt Lake City will host the 2002 Winter Olympics with the slogan "The
World is Welcome Here." The Salt Lake City School Board's decision calls
into question how much of the "World" is truly "Welcome" here. The
Citizens' Alliance for Hate Free Schhols, a project of the Utah Human
Rights Coalition, calls on all supporters of the rights of young people to
have equal access to educational opportunities and safe schools to sign
the following petition.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION AND THEN FORWARD TO SOMEONE ELSE.

IF YOU ARE A TENTH PERSON TO SIGN YOUR NAME, FORWARD THE
LIST BACK TO ME: cdorchard at earthlink.net
 (i.e. the 10th, 20th, 30th person will forward this message to me in
progress)  I will compile the petition and send it to the board members.

Target Deadline:  June 4, 1996

PETITION TO THE SALT LAKE CITY SCHOOL BOARD

"We, the undersigned, support the efforts by area high school students
to organize non-curricular clubs and alliances designed to increase
understanding and good will among the high school population and the
general public as well. We call on the Salt Lake City School Board to
resist all illegal attempts at intimidation and coercion to deprive
students of their legally guaranteed rights. We request that they take
immediate action to reverse their decision on February 20, 1996, to ban
all clubs."

#   Name                  E-Mail Address                Place of Residence
                          (Not Obligatory)
1.  Alison Streit                                       Washington, DC
2.  Christine Allison                                   Santa Barbara, CA
3.  Larry McLellan                                      Santa Barbara, CA
4.  Christopher Putney                                  Chapel Hill, NC
5.  Stanley Burgoyne                                    Chapel Hill, NC
6.  David Shengold                                      South Hadley, MA
7.  Sheree Morgan       smorgan at mtholyoke.edu           Northampton MA
8.  Chandra Ford                                        State College, PA
9.  Christy L. Ventura                                University Park, PA
10. Chandreyee Das                                     University Park, PA
11. Andrew Miller       aem125 at psu.edu                 University Park, PA
12. David Scrymgeour    das251 at psu.edu                 University Park, PA
13. Stephanie Evans                                    Salt Lake City, UT
14. Ena Ladi           ena.ladi at u.cc.utah.edu          Centerville, UT
15. Emily Moss         emoss at emory.edu                 Atlanta, GA
16. Grace Shih         gshih01 at emory.edu               Atlanta, GA
17. Alex Wang          ywang02 at emory.edu               Atlanta, GA
18. Jennifer Genung    jgenung at emory.edu               Atlanta, GA
19. Stephanie Wolfe	swolfe at emory.edu		Atlanta, GA
20. Lee S. Szolusha     nitehawk at earthlink.net          Lodi,NJ
21. Louis A. Perosi     lamp970 at aol.com                 West Paterson, NJ
22. Leslie GrantSmith   looscann at aol.com                San Diego, CA.
23. Marcia Smith        smithy at scn.org                  Seattle, WA
24. Nancy Kunitsugu                                     Seattle, WA
25. Carlos Cruz         ccruz at scn.org                   Seattle, WA
send petition to Charlene Orchard if you are #10, 20, 30, etc.
<cdorchard at earthlink.net>

Charlene Orchard
Co-Chair, Utah Human Rights Coalition
P.O. Box 521242