SCN General Meetings

Brandy Williams bwilliam at scn.org
Tue Jan 30 10:01:18 PST 1996

>(snip)  Scheduling a meeting for 6:30 amounts
>to extending the work-hours for that day to around 16 hours or so.
>Any new user with the same problem will not regard the arrangement as
>"user-friendly".
>
>Now Jim has a pretty good idea, namely the little handout sheets.
>There could just be piles of them at the meeting, whose time need
>not change.  In fact the sheets are time-savers.  People can take `em
>home and read them at their leisure.

I don't see these as mutually exclusive.  Why don't we try doing
both 6:30-7 newcomer orientation and written handouts
and see: 1. what newcomers find most valuable and 2. what
we find we can sustain as volunteers?  No one who doesn't want
to show up at 6:30 needs to do so.  Yes, I do work with another
group that has meetings, and we use both handouts and explanation
time--they're mutually reinforcing.

--
Brandy Williams
bwilliam at scn.org