The SCNA Board Meeting

Doug Tooley dltooley at speakeasy.org
Wed Jun 11 20:56:52 PDT 1997

Aki-

I had hoped to attend tonight's meeting, but did not have the chance to
check my e-mail till 7:00 due other priorities, and as such it is not
possible for me to attend given the form and date of the notice provided.
I generally make it quite clear that I require one week's notice to
guarantee that I have read an e-mail, and also advance the notion that
this is a good standard practice, and have made these statements on
various scn administratively related lists.

I have also not received an background material as requested from you
previously.  It is hard, if not impossible, to reply to allegations
without knowing what they are.

Some facts of this case are quite clear - the Board has implicitly and
explicitly supported a pattern of abusive contact against myself, as
documented in numerous e-mails generated by board members and others
associated with the organization in a official capacity.  The board has
also failed to respond to a formal complaint regarding these matters.
Though the Board may at this time be attempting to portray me as the
'instigator' of these problems the factual record indicates quite the
contrary.

Again, some of the facts of the matter are quite clear.  The SCN-A Board
is continuing the same pattern of behavior as I have been previously
subject too. In general the SCN-A board has failed to administer the
organization almost completely, and certainly nowhere near an appropriate
level given the tasks and responsibilities it has taken on.  In addition
some members have used the organization to undertake some very destructive
behavior.

While I may sympathesize with the underlying abusive situations that lead
these individual SCN members to this sort of psychological degradation the
acts undertaken from this motivation are not appropriate nor acceptable in
any fashion.  Using SCN to attack others individual rights is the ethical
equivalent of rape, and these individuals deserve an appropriate
punishment and treatment.  The vote by the SCN-A board continuing these
attacks does nothing more than to implicate the entire organization in
this endeavor. SCN is not a dildo.

Specifically, aside from psychological concerns, the responsibility for
administering the personnel of the organization resides in the person of
Nancy Kunitgutsu, services committee chair (apparently for life!).  As a
part of my substantial contributions to the administration of the
organization (perhaps exceeding that of every Board member over the last
year or so) I have advised Nancy and the organization to obtain
professional assistance in volunteer management to handle potential
liability concerns.  I have also spoken directly with Nancy about these
practices and she refuses to even discuss them, preferring to keep her
personnel practices a matter of her own control, rather than a function of
a democratically run organization.

Although I do not have **much** in the way of direct evidence I believe
that Nancy not only has failed in her crictical tasks through
ommission, I believe she also enables the abuse of the SCN
mission to her own perceived benefit.  There is also some direct evidence
that she is psychologically damaged, and is using SCN to persue attacks
herself.

Nancy keeps a tight rein on things, and is more than willing to attack
males in doing so.  I've personally witnessed conflict between her and Tom
Sparks, and have seen some of this same energy directed toward myself.
Frankly the best explanation for Tom Sparks behavior toward myself is
pressure from Nancy to lean on me (last summer).

I don't want to go to much into details here, but a couple of additional
facts merit mention - a friend of Nancy's daughter was raped, with her
daughter being present very close to the event, as well as in the
emotional aftermath.  In describing this event to me, Nancy seemed
vindictive, almost implying that I, as a male, were somehow partly
responsible for this action.

But again, aside from any question of Nancy's motivations, the
responsibility for these actions, and lack therof resides most directly
and specifically with her.  As the manager of SCN staff it is her job to
create a respectful and functional 'workplace', and she has instead
'enabled' a highly dysfunctional one, of which the incident between Mr.
Sparks and myself is a quite predicatble response.

Now it is true that I have been accused of being a bastard before by other
Politically Correct Hatemongers, but there is no basis to any of these
allegations, rather they reflect a behavior pattern peculiar to baby
boomers that is rapidly dying out.  This behavior of running around
blaming everyone for anything you can possibly dream up has been practiced
by many locally till recently.   I would be more than happy to address any
concerns that these rumours bring up for anyone.

I'm actually optimistic about the City being cleared of the behavior,
though the clean-up still has several years to go.

In any case that sort of hatemongering behavior is inappropriate in any
case, including this specific one.

Rich Littleton stated in an recent e-mail message some concern about me
trying to provoke a lawsuit of some sort.  This is not the case.  It is
the case that I have been damaged by previous incidents of this sort, and
that some of these are still active.  It is the case that I attack, with
relish, any instance of this hypocritical rot, as determined by the facts,
in a prudent, appropriate and legal manner.  I will continute to do this,
and it is not, as some would suggest 'harrassment', but rather a fact of
life, that we all must now deal with.

I assume that we part company under not the best of circumstances, and
that I must be concerned about your future actions with regards to myself,
and also as a public agent, or contractor of the City.  There is no task
more difficult than managing a democracy, and it is clear that the SCN-A
board is no where near up to it.  I sincerely wish you all the best in
your mutual association, but if you want SCN to be a success, you might
try doing something besides running around calling everyone else assholes,
and for that matter continuing to engage in that behavior amongst
yourselves.

I also still await your response to my earlier complaint.

-Douglas Tooley