What is this, a hockey game?

Albert W. Boss alboss at wolfenet.com
Mon Mar 10 14:37:18 PST 1997

ENOUGH, already!  This list is for discussion of operations pertinent to
the running of Seattle Community Network.  It's not, despite recent
appearances, a virtual boxing ring for people who obviously don't like one
another.  If you want to argue with someone, take that stuff off the list
and keep it between the two of you.

In this recent discourse, I can see the original posting as being relevant
to SCN; the topic is one we should all think about.  I can even see the
reply as bringing up more issues that we should all think about.  But,
folks, when the matter metamorphosizes from educating the community of SCN
volunteers and changes into an exchange of pointed verbal assaults between
personalities, then please restrict it to the people involved and leave
the rest of us out of it.

Volunteers leave SCN because of this kind of display.  If you care about
the community network, act like a member of the community and stop fouling
our public square.  Or, be accountable for your actions and assume the
responsibility to take on the activities of every single one of us you
chase away as we get sick of this kind of thing and drop out of the
project.

I do not want to believe that anyone on this list consciously wants to do
anything that would harm Seattle Community Network; we've all put too much
into it to perform an act of assisted suicide on this on-line community
that exists because of our efforts.  And that includes the combatants.
You are people whose opinions and assistance and energy I value, and I
respect all the positive things you've done for SCN.  I merely ask that we
ALL take care not to become a negative force within the community network;
it's much easier to destroy a community than it is to create and maintain
one.  No one got on this list by doing things the easy way, so just
remember why we're here and treat the list accordingly.

Thanks for listening.  And, if you want to point out that I'm an anal
orifice, the e-mail address is alboss at scn.org, NOT scn at scn.org

Al Boss