Network Neighborhoods (fwd)

Albert W. Boss alboss at wolfenet.com
Thu May 8 20:52:13 PDT 1997

Hi, folks.  My sincere apologies for any duplications of this message you
may receive.  This is a project in whose potential I strongly believe,
especially with regard to mutual benefit between NN and SCN.

In a nutshell, Network Neighborhoods has a major component we at SCN lack:
bricks and mortar.  They have places to put community computer centers, in
HUD areas where the need is pretty high.  We have major components they
lack: SCN has a substantial volunteer base already active in computer
training and training for use of online resources.

As we strive to extend our reach into the community, and to make sure no
one fails to rise on the information tsunami, I think working with Network
Neighborhoods has tremendous potential.  I don't see it so much as taking
on new work (Lord knows we have enough!) but as another essential channel
for work we're planning on doing anyway.

Please take the time to consider Angela's note below and to respond
directly to her if you think you can help.  Based on a phone call with her
yesterday, there's a great need for people to help them gather old
computers, make sure they work, and turn them over to deserving people.  I
know we've done this in the past; probably some among us could offer tips,
and hopefully some might even volunteer their time to help with that part.
(It's outside my area of expertise, unfortunately.)

Best wishes to all,

Al Boss