Articles

awh at nwlink.com awh at nwlink.com
Sun May 11 23:59:08 PDT 1997

At 11:38 PM 5/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
>> What do you propose as a positive solution? And why the judgemental tone?

>As to why I have my own particular personality - well, go
>figure.

Tht's what I'm trying to do, figure out the reason you have a tone of
omniscience and finality in your pronouncements for what SCN should do and be.

>I propose re-inventing half a dozen mailing lists that would be
>places for people to stay generally informed about broad
>subject areas.

Please elaborate. How would you propose this be done?

>The seventeenth one that you're missing is a new one, Planning.

Oops, you're right! And I'm part of the committee.

>But if you've been following things, lots of the planning
>related duscussions have actually taken place in other venues
>than the erstwhile planning list, which basically goes to show
>that it's just another fragnmented, silly addition, that splits
>worthwhile conversations among yet more lists, so that people
>now have to subscribe to it as well as all the others. Pleh!

Perhaps they have taken place in other fora because the Planning list did
not exist. It is brand new.

>Planning decisions are important enough that they should involve
>widely distributed conversations, not tucked away among a small
>number of people on a specialized list. Lots of people should
>have a chance to contribute, and to stay up to date on that.

If planning decisions are so important (as I agree they are) then why is the
topic unworthy of a mailing list. Rather than being "just another
fragnmented, silly addition"
I think it can help coalesce discussions that have been disjointed.

People can subscribe to as many or as few of the lists as they please. If
you can define a plan to pare them down well and effectively then bravo!
Have at it.

Andrew