Newsletter

Steve Hoffman steve at accessone.com
Thu May 15 10:52:51 PDT 1997

We discussed the infamous newsletter at last night's Board
meeting.  Looks like Doug Schuler will spearhead a print version,
while I get to run with an electronic rendition.

First, any comments on which Lists should receive posts of the
ongoing debates as we put this thing together?  I'd like to cut
down on multiple message copies as much as possible, without
leaving out any group that wants to have input.

Here are a few of my very own personal-type random thoughts:

1.  Almost any newsletter is better than none.  There; like
    magic, this is now a low-pressure job.

2.  Given #1 above, I'd like to start out with a simple ASCII
    text version.  Then we can look into adding HTML bells and
    whistles.

3.  A number of people have strong feelings about the format and
    content of the newsletter.  It follows that some folks will
    not like it.  There will be changes made in response to
    constructive comments.  Then, other folks will not like it.
    We'll try to keep this an equal-opportunity annoyance.

4.  I'm operating on the assumption that SCN's volunteers are
    already devoting extraordinary amounts of time and energy to
    the organization.  I have no intention of bugging people
    about deadlines; the newsletter will not become the tail
    wagging the dog.  If there's no material from a particular
    committee or group, I'll assume that there's nothing new, or
    that you're just too busy with more important projects, or
    that you chose (for whatever reason) not to submit anything.
    Any of these rationales are ok by me.  If someone else would
    like to be the official SCN Nag, please step forward.

5.  Having established myself (see #4) as a sort of nice guy,
    it's time to drop the other shoe: I'd like to have absolute
    editing authority.  Doubtless this will upset someone who
    submits 12 pages of pithy material that's reduced to a
    paragraph, but I hope we can meet those little challenges as
    we go along.

Now, down to more nitty-gritty stuff.  Here are some of the
possible subject areas that came up at the last Outreach meeting:

Committee reports
IP reports
Board report
Help column
User feedback
Letters to the editor
Requests for volunteers
Spotlight one or more volunteers
Coming events
Request for donations

Any thoughts on timetables, sbject areas, the logistics of obtaining
submissions, or anything else?  (As if I had to ask!)

...Steve