Education: Information for volunteers (fwd)

Brian High kv9x at scn.org
Mon May 26 09:55:35 PDT 1997

Reply to: Van73 at televar.com  !

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:18:35 -0700
From: Van Overs <Van73 at televar.com>
To: kv9x at scn.org
Subject: Information for volunteers

Please share this information with any folks who might be interested!
Please contact me if you know of any other places where we might find
interested applicants!

An opportunity to . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . Learn and practice teaching skills while contributing to the
basic education of students, preschool  through grade 12
. . . . . Learn and practice English as a Second Language techniques and
bilingual (English/Spanish) skills while assisting students with limited
English
. . . . . Help small rural communities develop resources to support
their students
. . . . . . . . . . . through serving a year in AmeriCorps in beautiful,
rural North Central Washington State.

The 1997-98 Intermountain AmeriCorps Service and Education Network is
looking for talented people who are interested in working with children
and youth in a public school setting for eleven months from
September,1997 through August,1998.

Intermountain team members will assist students throughout five rural
school districts, preschool through grade 12, on their basic academic
skills.  Because of our high percentage of Spanish speaking students,
applicants with interest and background in the field of education or
English as a Second Language will have particular opportunities to
practice their skills.  Minimum requirements —Applicants must be at
least 17 years of age, US citizen or lawful permanent resident, and have
a high school diploma or GED or agree to obtain one during their term of
service.

In exchange for 11 months of results-driven service, Intermountain
AmeriCorps members will receive an education award of $4,725.00 to help
finance their college education or vocational training or to pay back
their student loans.  This award takes the form of a tuition voucher
that can be used at any nationally accredited school.  Members also
receive a $650 per month living allowance, health care, and child care
assistance when needed.  In order to qualify for the education award,
members must complete the 11 month program and a minimum of 1700 hours
of service.

AmeriCorps is the direct result of a renewed service movement in
America.  The program strives to rebuild our communities while
broadening education opportunities for our citizens.  AmeriCorps
addresses our nation’s education, human, public safety, and
environmental needs at the community level.  AmeriCorps offers
opportunities for Americans to make a substantial commitment to serve
their country, mobilizing them at the local level to build a national
movement for positive change.

Interested applicants may respond to Lake Chelan School District
AmeriCorps team, PO Box 369, Chelan WA 98816
(509)  682-4550
van73@ televar.com