looking for a "Meet the New Medium" instructor

Doug Schuler douglas
Wed May 28 09:04:41 PDT 1997

As some of you know I've been teaching a two-quarter course (for the
part-time studies program) entitled "Meet the New Medium" at the
Evergreen State College in Olympia since January this year.  It's an
8-credit course and we've been meeting on Saturdays from 9:00 to 4:30.
In the class we focus on the social implications and the technology of
the Internet.

I submitted a proposal to teach the (two-quarter) course again this
fall (on Tuesday and Thursday evenings) which was accepted.  Since that
time, however, I accepted a full-time visiting faculty position at
Evergreen for a course called "Student Originated Software" ("SOS").

Since I'm now unable to teach the "Meet the New Medium" course, we are
looking for someone who could teach the course.  I'd be happy to go
over what I did with anybody who is qualified to teach the course.  I
also want to mention both that lots of information for the class is
available at www.scn.org/edu/tesc-97 and that anybody who does teach
the course is not obligated to use the material that I put together.
(It would be useful IMO to give it a good look, however.)

If you're qualified and might be interested please give the web site a
look.  If this looks like something you might want to do, you can
contact me for more information.  If you have a strong interest you can
also contact Susan Fiksdal, fiksdals at elwha.evergreen.edu.

Thanks for your consideration!

-- Doug

PS.  I'm hoping that the students in the SOS course will be able to
develop some software for SCN!

PPS.  To my mind, "qualified" means familiarity with the social implication
issues and the technology. The readings page should give you a good idea
of what the issues were in at least my version of the class.