SCN as a spam problem

michaelh at scn.org michaelh at scn.org
Mon Sep 15 17:15:49 PDT 1997

  Could sombody explain what being used as a 'spam relay' means?
Does this mean that people who have accounts on SCN are sending out
spam?  Or is it people on other systems making some of their spam look
like it came from us?  Or both?
  If the former, is there any action required aside from revoking
account privileges to those people if they don't quit?
Is there some delay in doing this?
  For the later - is there anything we can do about it?

  I certainly think SCN should take part in a general action to make
spam illegal (just like junk faxes).  Though perhaps setting up one
group to deal with the problem and letting them divide the labor
might be more efficient.
  In the interest of educating ourselves, perhaps sombody could
explain more particularly how SCN is part of the problem.  Thanks

	Michael Hanson
----
  Now if we could just outlaw unsolicited phone calls ...