SCN as a spam problem

Stefani Banerian banerian at scn.org
Mon Sep 15 20:02:24 PDT 1997

In message <1+cH0MnJqAxP091yn at scn.org>,
michaelh at scn.org wrote:
>  Could sombody explain what being used as a 'spam relay' means?
>Does this mean that people who have accounts on SCN are sending out
>spam?  Or is it people on other systems making some of their spam look
>like it came from us?  Or both?

"spam relay" means that scn is being used by a third party to send UCE
(unsolicited commercial email) to other people.  they do this by
fooling the mail machine to think they are "kosher".

>  For the later - is there anything we can do about it?

I am trying to build an updated version of sendmail (it's not as fast as
I would like;  there are also some "tcp wrappers" which we can install.

>  In the interest of educating ourselves, perhaps sombody could
>explain more particularly how SCN is part of the problem.  Thanks

by having an unprotected mail server, we are a conduit for spam relay.

--
stefani banerian       This signature space available for your message.
banerian at scn.org       Free!  No warranty implied. Satisfaction not guaranteed.