What's the "C" for again?

Bill S bk846 at scn.org
Wed Aug 12 14:25:49 PDT 1998

Hi Rich;

I'm not disagreeing but we do need to think of other factors.

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Rich Littleton wrote:

> I just came from teaching regular folks how to use e-mail tonight at Green
> Lake Library. My "in the trenches" experience tells me that forming
> community is not where SCN is lacking (though it doesn't do much there
> either).  SCN's major stumble-and-fall is that it cannot provide service.
>
> Even if we do a successful PR campaing, will we solve such problems as:
>
> 1.	Adopt an e-mail program that is easier that the 2 Unix options?
> [Right now we do not.]
Installing a graphical e-mail system such as Eudora, Netscape Communicator
or whatever depends on getting a SLIP or PPP connection working

> 2.	Get enough volunteers (and org. resources) to actually TEACH
> incoming people how to use SCN?  [Right now we do not.]
This means first defining what it is we need to teach them and how to get
them to come to classes.

> 3.	Offer a WEB browser that will handle the current (and coming)
> graphical technology.  [Right now we do not.]

Again dependent on a SLIP/PPP connection which is up to hardware/software.
We also have to consider where the point is when we stop looking like a
community service and start being in competition with commercial ISPs. If
all we do is duplicate services that any local or national ISP provides
then we're asking for trouble. Ken has lots of info on alternative
browsers and we should consider something that keeps the cost down.

> 4.	Set an organized process to recycle computers from the community?
> [Right now we do not, except for Sharma's lonely efforts.]
>
> 5.	Effectively lobby city, county, and state governments for publicly
> funded trunk lines (e.g. to rural areas where users have to buck
> long-distance costs)   [Right now we do not.]
>
> So many decisions.  If we get to be successful providers, will be call
> down the wrath of Republicans and commercial IPs for undercutting them?

Yes, we probably will. There's another ongoing discussion relating to
problems other Freenets are having with the IRS over their tax exempt
status and the whole concept of Freenets. We need to be looking at what we
are planning for the future but also staying aware of the limitations of
our 501c3 status.

> WE NEED TO GATHER AND GET SOME VISION AND MISSION.

and we need do do that soon before we are overcome by events.

> Later,

> Rich

I'm not going to move it there but might suggest that this discussion and
the overall Freenet situation discussion might be moved to the scn.ideas
forum so more people would be able to contribute. Anyone else in favor of
that ?

Bill S
bk846 at scn.org         "Warning:Dates on the calendar
billhs at speakeasy.org   are closer than they appear."