What's the "C" for again?

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Wed Aug 12 14:47:10 PDT 1998

Bill S wrote:
> I'm not going to move it there but might suggest that this discussion and
> the overall Freenet situation discussion might be moved to the scn.ideas
> forum so more people would be able to contribute. Anyone else in favor of
> that ?

Bill,

   No, because the scn.ideas forum is still a comparatively
inaccessible place to post messages, because no one can post a
message there without first obtaining a registered SCN user ID (a
small fraction of interested local residents), and then still can't
post messages except when dialed in to SCN's phone line or telnet
address.

   Many more people would find it easier to participate if mailing
lists like this one (scn at scn.org) and CPSR's local-computer-activists
were mirrored on the Web, so that interested people all over the
Seattle area could click a mailto link to send a message to the list.
We have the technical means to do that. It could be set up tomorrow
if people wanted to do it. But so far, I'm not at all sure that
anyone in SCN's leadership has a real desire to open up the
discussions more widely than among the few people who are now
subscribed to the lists.

Rod Clark
bb615 at scn.org