RFC- AKA What's the C for

Lois Beedle ljbeedle at scn.org
Sat Aug 15 04:32:59 PDT 1998

As a non profit organization my understanding is that the IRS is more
concerned with our being non profit than the technology used to provide a
service.
As I have read the current cases, those organizations under review were
charging for service - perhaps a sliding scale, but charging.  SCN does
not.  Therefore we are clearly non profit.
As long as we stick to the goal of making web service available to all,
and only accept donations, I don't see a problem.  However, rather than
base technical decisions on possible tax implications we should see if
there is a legal type person willing to donate their research and advice
on those issues.
The Fremont Street Clinic is a non profit medical organization, Northwest
Hospital is a for profit.  Fremont does not make medical decisions based
on possible competion with Northwest.

Lois Beedle