RFC- AKA What's the C for

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Sat Aug 15 03:14:11 PDT 1998

Bill,

You're correct to ponder precisely these points.  And here's a scary
thought I have in increasing occurrences these days.  Our social/political
basis might be being run so that enterprises which are not commercial, are
disfavored.  (Just today a federal court ruled in favor of tobacco
companies by saying that nicotine has not been shown to be a drug, so the
FDA may not regulate cigarette distribution.)  If that is true, then
freenets will be forced to function at a useless level, or be crushed by
tax laws.

Freenets might have to engage some high-powered legal help to look very
closely at the tax laws and see how they can function without restraints
by the IRS or without opposition from IPs.

However, what we can't do is self-censure so we are doing to ourselves
what we worry the IRS (or other IPs) would do.

Thanks for the note.

Rich

*****  Unless stated otherwise, this message may be forwarded.  ******