with this

Lois Beedle ljbeedle at scn.org
Fri Dec 11 05:03:13 PST 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Kurt Cockrum wrote:

> The problem isn't "specific", it's general, and rather abstract, and
> difficult to get across to non-computer folk.  It's tough enough to
> discuss among colleagues.  I wish CPSR was some help here, but they're
> not.  Try explaining crytography to a lay person as an example.

Just how many none computer folk do you think you are reaching with this
mail?  If the problem can't be identified than it probably isn't a
problem.

> Old-fashioned voting systems have the advantage of operating under
> principles that are common knowledge; there are no "black-box" phenomena
> with an election system.  All the parts are subject to scrutiny by
> people armed with common knowledge, and so can directly verify that
> things are as they appear.  They don't have to be armed with years of
> experience in arcane subjects, as software people do.  All they need is
> the native machinery most of us are born with, if it hasn't atrophied
> because of too much cultural immersion.  It ain't rocket science.

Currently King County is using a black-box to electronically transmit
election results from the polling place to the election board computer.
So far it has gone well and we have had no problem with either the process
or the results.  And the majority of the election workers do not have any
computer experience - yet they manage quite nicely with only a bit of
training.

Although your message goes on, I still have not seen any facts to back up
your conclusion in relationship to scn.
Since one can assume that all members have access to a computer, I would
agree with a previous writer that trying the already tried system with a
test vote could be done with little cost of time and energy.  And the end
result could be a large saving in time and energy in the 'real' election.

Lois