Classifieds menu

Rod Clark rclark at pop.aa.net
Thu Feb 12 09:00:56 PST 1998

> > Who's changing the order of things in the menus???  Bad idea!
> > People get used to typing in a certain number to get to a certain area,
> > and if that is changed it just frustrates users.
>
> I second all complaints about the menu changes.

Anitra,

   The menu changes are made partly in response to people's
suggestions and complaints about how SCN isn't as easy to use as
it could be, and partly because of changes in SCN's service
offerings. Several items on the menus have changed recently,
which means that menu numbers have changed as well.

   The present menus should be stable for now. And because of
several comments that frequent changes are undesirable in
and of themselves whether or not they're improvements, I'll
refrain from making any menu changes for a while. But some
changes did need to be made.

   Because Pine is now well tested and is recommended as the
default mail program, Pine has moved from its former location,
as item number 8 on a third level menu that was reached by
picking item number 12 on a second level menu, to replace the
Freeport mailer as the first or default mail choice.

   The old Freeport mail services have been renamed and
moved from "Read Your Mail" and Send Mail" at the top of the
mail menu, to a place below Pine on the menu. These former menu
options were sufficient when they were the only mail services
available, but as placed and labeled on the menus they were
leading people to the FreePort mailer instead of supporting the
changeover to Pine.

   Because SCN's information content has almost all moved to the
Web, Lynx was moved from number 5 on a subsidiary menu to a
more obvious place on the main menu, to make reaching SCN's
content easier.

   Some people think Lynx shouldn't be so easily accessible -
that users should be forced to go through whole menus full of
"WARNING - READ THIS FIRST!!!" material before starting it up.
Others think that all of that material should be put somewhere
obvious where newbies can find it when they need it, but regular
users appreciate faster ways to use the system, and the main
path to SCN's content shouldn't be delayed or obscured.

   Until not long ago, the first group, let's call them the Cod
Liver Oil school of design, always won. They still do, often
enough. Because of this, everyone (well, almost everyone - see
below) has to wade through two screens of miscellaneous
introductory material and three screens of the "message of the
day" every time we log in, complete with a screenful of "art"
with tall buildings and mountains, and ceaseless warnings to
delete this or that file, and an annoying procession of "End of
File - Press Return to continue" and "Press SPACE bar to
continue" and "End of File -Press Return to continue" and "Press
Return to continue" prompts in between.

   This is all material that is Good For You, and that can never
be made optional. Because you are so fortunate as to have been
adopted by Cod Liver Oil parents.

   Someone (was it you, Anitra?) suggested a few months ago that
a clean, fast login prompt would help people who want to log in,
do something quick and log off again, with a minimum of "oh no,
not all this again" to contend with. As expected, the systems
people completely ignored that idea. But it's a good one, so
let's revive it.

   To make a speedier login possible while still appeasing the
Cod Liver Oil faction, maybe there could be a note on an
otherwise quick, clean opening screen like this:

------

    Seattle Community Network

        To see service bulletins, start Lynx from the
        main menu and pick 'Message of the Day'

    You have new mail.

    Press Return.
--------

   All the rest of it could just go away, to sighs of relief
from all of us who only want to get on and get off again.

   This of course assumes that Lynx would be on the main menu at
all. Someone from the Hardware committee actually removed it
one day, and put it back on a lower level menu as the sixth or
so item there. Why? So that everyone would have to go
through a lot of extra menu items with a boatload of "WARNING -
READ ME FIRST!!!" material before using Lynx.

   "Hey! You there.Yes, you! Put that fork down. You know the
rules. You can't have your dinner until you read these three
pages of explanations and rules about how to eat your dinner.
At each and every meal, and each and every snack, each and
every day. Otherwise you might grow up to be an uninformed user.
Now listen, I'm warning you - put that fork down!"

   Except of course for the main proponents of this theory, the
Hardware people, whose shell logins provide (you'll never guess)
a clean, fast login directly to the system prompt, so they can
get on and off quickly and don't have to wade through all of
that stuff. The rationale is that they wouldn't get as much work
done otherwise. Ahem. Sounds good to me. Do as I say, not as I
do. Isn't that grand?

   The result of too many endless repetitions of this
"preventively parent you stupid users from accessing these tools
too easily" philosophy is that many of those users who have a
choice, especially Information Providers, do put their fork
down, stomp out of the room and go elsewhere. Yet some SCN
admins still insist on prescribing this as "good for you because
 it takes longer to get to where you can use these dangerous
tools like Lynx and Pine and it's very important that you can't
use them without passing through the Hall of Parental Warnings
first."

   SCN has a lousy reputation for usability. If all of the
admins had to make do with only those menus and tools that the
users have, for a few months, my guess is that the system would
rapidly improve into something that would have lots more
neato-cool, functional and accessible tools that would be
available to all of us. The technical term for this is "eat your
own dog food." And it works. But we don't do it, for some
reason.

   To answer your question about who maintains the menus, some
of the people who work on various menus these days are Rod
Clark, John Johnson, Michael Hanson and Ken Applegate. I believe
Chanh Ong and Randy Groves have also edited some menus recently.
Tom Sparks, Nancy Kunitsugu, and others have also contributed
menu updates in the not too distant past. I am the culprit for
the particular menu changes you're complaining about.

   If you have any suggestions about how to improve the menus,
we're listening.

Rod Clark