Homelessness and the web

Lorraine Pozzi femme2 at scn.org
Fri Jan 9 14:46:51 PST 1998

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Steve Hoffman wrote:

Interesting.  Seattle has one of the most active groups of homeless
in cyberspace.  Check out Real Change on the Web -- www.speakeasy.org/
realchange.  Read about Anitra Freeman in the Times, Dec. 26, 1997.
Anitra was briefly active in SCN but has found a better deal at
Speakeasy.  Her Web pages have won several awards.  There are quite
a few folks on a couple of international homeless lists.

Dr. Wes and Anitra also participated in the DIAC conference -- it
was a very lively workshop.

Several transitional housing sites -- one step up from the emergency
shelters -- give their residents access to computers.  Most do NOT
have modems and phone lines.

On a personal note -- when I was in the Seattle Public Library last
week, I ran into three homeless/formerly homeless people who
stopped to chat about computer stuff.

We could be doing a lot more -- and maybe the City's Technology
grant will do just that.  But I'd guess Seattle is one of the
more responsive cities in providing Internet access to the
homeless.

Lorraine