Homelessness and the web

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Fri Jan 9 07:39:29 PST 1998

> ... Anitra was briefly active in SCN but has found a better
> deal at Speakeasy.

Lorraine,

   A number of good sites have found a home at Speakeasy. Can
you, or someone familiar with how they do things, say what
Speakeasy does that tends to help those groups along - what
is it about Speakeasy that generally works well for groups who
work with them - and whether SCN might learn something from
them or adopt some of their more successful methods of working
with non-profits?

> ... Several transitional housing sites -- one step up from
> the emergency shelters -- give their residents access to
> computers.  Most do NOT have modems and phone lines.

   Ralph Pfister of King County Seniors Online has quite a large
basketful of medium to high speed modems, donated by a local
ISP, probably more than are needed for the senior centers
themselves. He's expressed a willingness to help SCN in general
with some of this. This past week, we set up a Boeing-donated
486 at Hamilton House as an Internet machine, with what (if I
can get it a bit more organized) will be a standard set of
Internet software that can be installed on similar machines
elsewhere.

   Needless to say, it's connected to a commercial ISP,
since a text-only connection to SCN is really out of the
question there, and at most similar locations, because SCN's
text interface is so limited and so hard to use that it would
defeat most of the value of having a connection in the first
place.

Rod