Homelessness and the web

Anitra Again anitra at speakeasy.org
Fri Jan 9 17:03:53 PST 1998

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Rod Clark wrote:

> > ... Anitra was briefly active in SCN but has found a better
> > deal at Speakeasy.
>
> Lorraine,
>
>    A number of good sites have found a home at Speakeasy. Can
> you, or someone familiar with how they do things, say what
> Speakeasy does that tends to help those groups along - what
> is it about Speakeasy that generally works well for groups who
> work with them - and whether SCN might learn something from
> them or adopt some of their more successful methods of working
> with non-profits?

I'll try to answer that directly, Rod.

For me, these were the major factors that led to me living at the
Speakeasy instead of at SCN (virtually and almost literally for awhile.)
:)

1) Web page space.  As one of the features of a standard account, I
can create up to a 10MB site.

2) Shell account.  One of the features of a standard account; I don't
have to be anybody special to be trusted with one, and Speakeasy is
able to handle the security.
	Unsophisticated users are, at least at first (while still
unsophisticated users) quite content with a menu and even pathetically
grateful for one.  Any true computer geek, which unsophisticated users
tend to mutate into rapidly, develops manic withdrwal symptoms when
cut off from shell account access.

3) Speed.  I log on, and I'm on -- I do not have a long wait for the
log-in, I do not have to watch several minutes of messages scroll down
the screen, I log on and get to work.
	People working for other non-profits are just as busy and overextended
as SCN's volunteers are.  None of us has the time to sit around and be
patient with a pokey server when a fast one is available.  we like to
support the people who support us, but at the time when I was actively
using my SCN account, *every* time we logged on we *had* to see the
*same* "public service announcements", and when you are already
severely backlogged with work it gets OLD.

4) Location.  Speakeasy is two blocks from the Real Change; right
across the street from the StreetLife Gallery.  To go to a function at
Speakeasy, to go ask for help at Speakeasy, to use the facilities at
Speakeasy, was a few minutes walk.  To go to SCN meetings, volunteer
activities or training sedssions ewas usually a long busride.

It's also true that because of the nature of Speakeasy, as a
cyber-cafe, almost any time you are online there are people around you
who can help you and answer your questions -- not just staff, but the
person at the next terminal over is usually willing to help if you
don't make yourself a complete pest.  This is the atmosphere that SCN
is trying to create with its community computing center, and it works,
very well.

I do believe that SCN has been a major factor in creating the
accessible computer environment in Seattle.  (If you don't think we
have easy public access, try spending a week in Vancouver BC.)  I
still see some excellent nonprofit websites on SCN.  Realistically,
however, I think that for many users you are going to always be the
"onramp" to the Internet -- the place where we get our feet wet, learn
how to use the tools -- and then we go find someplace where the cars
move faster.  I don't know how much you can change that.  By the nature
of SCN, you are a network cobbled together out of donated equipment by
dedicated volunteers working for too much coffee and not enough
peanuts.  Being able to serve as the most basic entry point to the
internet for the widest part of the underserved population, *and*
compete with fully staffed commercial businesses is, I believe,
unfeasible.  I would rather see SCN focus on serving those who do not
have available choices yet -- and go ahead and let them move on when
they do have choices.  There will *always* be more where they came
from.

WRITE ON! -- Anitra
Save America's Vanishing Frompers!  Support Thalia, Muse of Comedy,
in the Site Fights!  http://www.thesitefights.com/circus/side2.htm