Homelessness and the web (really about class & money)

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Mon Jan 12 11:04:55 PST 1998

> This is a valuable question, but not at all an easy one.
> You know you have a self-managed shelter when you do a
> walkthrough and members point to things and say -- "I made
> that" -- "I was the one suggested doing it that way" -- "We
> used to have doo-dah there but we all voted to have dee-dah
> instead" -- and other indications that the shelter is
> *theirs*.  Where the money came from is not a large factor in that.
>
> I'd like to see SCN focus on developing an atmosphere where
> users identify their screen display as something they voted on,
> something they helped build, something that is *theirs*.  That
> is not easy -- giving people a democratic voice in procedures
> usually seems to involve hunting them down and pulling it out
> of them.

Anitra, and everyone who's contributed to this,

   What do you say we take what people have said so far in
this thread on the mailing list (minus anyone's remarks who
doesn't want to be quoted), strip out some of the mail header
stuff, format it as HTML, and publish it? It could be linked
from the SCN home page.

   So far, almost no one has read this discussion. (A few dozen
people?) Maybe it would help if SCNA and SCN subscribers in
general could read it too, as fodder for whatever we hope will
happen.

Rod