Are we wallflowers?

Michael Hanson michaelh at scn.org
Sun Nov 1 15:43:57 PST 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 17:25:47 -0800 (PST), Rod Clark <bb615 at scn.org> wrote:
>> Anybody wanna take a crack at determining our popularity?
>
>Steve,
>
>   For the week of October 19-26, SCN had about 52,293 page
>views. (This is a bit conservative, since it excludes all images
>and most sound files that people might have downloaded from
>links on a page as separate items.)
>
>   144,000,000 / 52,593 = 19,166. So SCN is about number 19,000
>among the 3 million or so sites on the Net, according to this
>formula.

Typo in the math here:

Actually
144,000,000 / 52,593 = 2,738
(But that would be dividing Yahoo's daily hit rate by our weekly rate).

But I think you meant to say:
1,008,000,000 / 52,593 = 19,166

  Does that 52,593 include hits from robots?  If so, what proportion
of our hits are from robots?
  Is information about hit rates for various IP/user areas on SCN
available?