Are we wallflowers?

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Sun Nov 1 17:04:16 PST 1998

> But I think you meant to say:
> 1,008,000,000 / 52,593 = 19,166

Michael,

   The resulting 19,166 number is right, but I did type the
wrong Yahoo number on the far left.

>   Does that 52,593 include hits from robots?  If so, what proportion
> of our hits are from robots?

   It does include page views by search engines' indexing robots
and other automated data collection programs and proxy agents.
It's not easily possible to identify all robots. But they're a
small percentage of SCN's traffic.

   The number of page views above also doesn't include people
who followed a link to a missing or obsolete page and saw our
notfound.html page, which has links to the home page and the
search page.

>   Is information about hit rates for various IP/user areas on SCN
> available?

   Yes. See http://www.scn.org/scripts/logtail.cgi (this starts
over every Sunday at 2:00 AM, so check it later in the week).

   I revised the logtail.cgi utility about two months ago at the
request of a user who was surprised to see his name in the log
results that it displayed. Unbeknownst to him, his ISP (Seanet)
had assigned his login username to his static IP number, so that
his first initial and last name were being recorded at every Web
site he visited, attached to the log records of each page he
viewed, as jsomebody.seanet.com.

   This used to be almost unheard of, but apparently is becoming
more common at ISPs now. Thus the logtail.cgi utility displays
only the main domain name, not any subdomain names. The user
then asked his ISP to change his account setup from a static IP
address to a dynamic IP address (something like
user123.port-14.blah.com, different every time). In any case,
this shows up in the logtail.cgi results as simply blah.com.

   SCN's raw logs are kept on a machine on the network to which
Information Providers and the public do not have access, so the
limited information from the logtail.cgi utility is basically
what's available.

Rod Clark