Pine controversy

Bill S bk846 at scn.org
Thu Oct 1 12:41:01 PDT 1998

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Lorraine Pozzi wrote:
                <snip>

> A couple of questions...
>
> Does Speakeasy still charge a fee for Pine classes?  And how come
> Speakeasy users were happy to shell out $$$$ to learn this
> extremely "difficult" program when we can't give it away?
         <snip>
Yes, Speakeasy does still run their classes on Saturdays and Sundays. The
new user orientation which includes PINE is $25.00. They include a hard
copy Pine manual with the class. They also offer a bunch of classes on
HTML, web design etc.

As I noted recently most afternoons and early evenings when I am at the
cafe or one of the RAIN site VT100 terminals around town there are people
waiting in line to use this "extremely difficult" e-mail program. Seems to
be no problem for at least most to pay $10.- a month to have an account
which includes shell access, Lynx, Pine and a wide variety of newsgroups.
They are using Pine 4.03 which has a lot of neat added bells and whistles
that are nice to have. Of course they have paid staff to run and update
their system.

Maybe they know something we don't ??????   No, I'm not suggesting
anything that would effect the 501C3 status but maybe there's something to
be learned.

> Lorraine
> femme2 at scn.org

Bill S