Pine controversy

Joe Mabel jmabel at saltmine.com
Thu Oct 1 13:08:09 PDT 1998

I'll say it once again: There's nothing wrong with Pine if you are just
sending and receiving text email.  If, however, like a growing number of
people, you are working in the Windows world, it's another story.

1) Windows programs have many features you can take for granted. Pine
doesn't coincide with these.  Two trivial examples:
- if it's your reflex to hit <Home> to getto the beginning of the line, you
have to engage the conscious brain to hit <Ctrl>-A.
- if it's your reflex to position the cursor with the mouse, you expect to
be able to start typing into text where you just clicked.
I, for one, like to keep my conscious thinking on what I'm saying it, not
on my tools.

2) In (say) Outlook, I can drag a file into my email and have an
attachment.  I don't need to think about the file name.

3) If I'm in my (visual) browser and I want to copy the URL I'm looking at
into an email, I select, copy, and paste.  Frankly, I can't even tell you
the steps I'd have to take to get that into Pine without retyping. I'm sure
there's a way, but I've never had the patience to work it out.

Pine is a good tool for what it is, but it's not the only email tool worth
knowing about.  We need to help our users solve the problems they've got,
not provide one all-purpose solution & say "if this doesn't fit you, you're
not our target."