Parents/Grandparents Class on Safe Surfing for Kids... (fwd)

Bill S billhs at speakeasy.org
Wed Sep 9 19:58:51 PDT 1998

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Rich Littleton wrote:

     <snip>
> I am emotionally bonded to our unix e-mail, but I can see how it is
> SERIOUSLY COMPLEX for people just entering computer-dom.  That doesn't
> mean we can dump unix, but it has begun a dialogue about changing.

           <snip>

Rich;

Let's be sure that we're not confusing the applications (freeport mail, Pine,
Pico etc) with the operating system (Unix).

There is a version of Pine for PCs and there are graphic e-mail programs that
run on the UNIX operating system including Eudora and Netscape communicator.

We use menu / command line operations when using Unix on SCN. That's not the
only possible way to do it. I can't remember whether X-Windows for Unix predates
the MAC but it's been around a lot longer than MS-whatever. If you've seen one
of out SUN workstations in operation at a computor fair the screen you saw was
X-Windows not MS-WIN95.

The questions raised here are really more related to the discussion in the
scn.hardware forum about whether or not we should go to SLIP/PPP and the general
philosophical questions about how much the user should know and understand about
the system he/she is using.

Also look at the current 'Computer User' newspaper for the article about the
LINUX operating system. It's a UNIX version/variation that is a true
multitasking/ multiuser system. It's got an expanding user base and is the
o/s of choice for numerous uses. I know a lot of new users have a problem with
anything that doesn't come from Redmond but MS-WINxx isn't an industry standard
like say 120v, 60hz electricity.

Bill Scott
bk846
billhs at speakeasy.org