E-Mail for all

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Sat Sep 12 12:40:24 PDT 1998

> Wouldn't it be possible to provide BOTH FreePort and a graphic mailer?
>
> A few years ago we accomodated the FreePort menu structure so it would
> be accessible from the web.  Wouldn't it be relatively easy (for all
> you software jocks out there :-) ) to build a web front end to our
> sendmail?

Doug,

   We have two of them for sendmail (form.cgi, sendform.cgi),
but none at present to retrieve POP mail. There are several
Web-based services that provide POP3 mail readers, though. See

        http://www.scn.org/guide/email.html

   That could (at least in my view) be mentioned in the e-mail
classes, along with how to use conventional scn.org POP mail
through an ISP connection.

   Because the Freeport main menu's Help item (#2) still leads
only to help files about Freeport mail and never mentions Pine,
POP or the Web-based services, we're trying to gather some
current documentation into a new e-mail help menu which will
cover everything, and replace that old menu with up-to-date Web
pages. The Freeport link would then start up Lynx to view the
new combined documentation.

   So far, an e-mail training volunteer has contributed some
good material. The help desk ande-mail training people could
probably get together and come up with a very good menu of
current stuff, with a little work.

Rod Clark