WHAT difficult e-mail?

Brian K. High kv9x at scn.org
Sat Sep 12 17:11:38 PDT 1998

Sounds to me like jj is trying to impress upon people the point that others
have tried to make clear in recent weeks as well ...

I guess you could say it more simply like this:

pico is a text editor
pine is an email program that uses pico as a message editor
unix is an operating system that pine and pico can be run on

pico and pine also can be run on Windows 3.1/95/98/NT

other programs can edit text and manage email
other operating systems support email and text editors

Therefore, we can mix and match our text editors, email managing programs,
and operating systems to get the best combination of what we want.

If we want to use the web to read our mail, we can do that with our current
OS (Unix).  People would not need to even be aware that Unix is our OS.

If the user wants to use pine, they do not need to know we use unix, nor
learn how to use unix.  However, unless they use the Windows version, they
will not be able to use a mouse and will have to either dial into SCN or
telnet into SCN to do that.

So it seems to me that we are sometimes confusing a text interface with unix
... pine with unix ... FreePort with unix ... pico with pine ... etc.

"A Rose by any other name ..."  :-)

--Brian