WHAT difficult e-mail?

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Sun Sep 13 14:00:10 PDT 1998

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Rich Littleton wrote:

> So, I expect everyone who thinks Unix is adequate for the public at large
> to sign up to TEACH the public how to use it.  (No excuses) Then we can
> keep Unix until the 22nd Century.

Rich - I don't have time right now for a long reply, (got to log of & join
the real world), but I just have to post something because you are driving
me nuts in these discussions - Fer gawds sake take time to find out what
the terms you are slinging around really mean, and then joust with the
right windmill!

UNIX is not your enemy! An operating system is NOT the same thing as the
user interface. Go after Freeport, that is fair game, but quit confusing
it with the underlying operating system, which could be Unix or Win NT or
whatever. The topic for valid discussion is the interface that users SEE,
not the underlying nuts & bolts that keeps it running.

Besides, if you hate unix, are you suggesting that we throw out several
perfectly good Sun work stations, and buy monster PC boxes to run Win NT?
And supposing we do, do you think that magically provides a wonderful
interface on the users' end of the line?

Ken