difficult e-mail?

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Sun Sep 13 22:37:16 PDT 1998

Hold it, hold it.

Two Points

1. The issue is not the name of the software.  I initially referred to
Freeport E-mail and Pine as Unix=based programs (also, "Unix programs").
I thought I was speaking analogously to calling pre-Windows Wordperfect a
DOS program.  Apparently that is incorrect and you can run Freeport and
Pine on other operating systems so it is incorrect to refer to either
Freeport e-mail or Pine e-mail as "Unix-based" or "Unix programs". My
apologies.

2. However, I'm not impressed that the terminology became the issue.  The
issue under discussion when this came up was that Freeport and Pine (on
whatever operating system they run on, I guess) are difficult for users.

The library also thinks they are difficult for users.

	a.	This affects potential SCN user loyalty.
	b.	This affects Seattle Public Library assessment of SCN's
contribution.

Those are the issues.

Now, let's deal with these issues.

Okay?