Slip/slirp/ppp capability for SCN--uh oh!

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Fri Sep 18 01:18:31 PDT 1998

I do understand that SCN is built on Unix, and, as I was educated about
recently, this is not the problem.  Not having a PPP setup apparently is.
My main point is that it is very difficult for new people to use, so we
should step up the teaching, if we can't provide an easier program.

I've picked up from talking with librarians that SPL is planning to go
graphic by early next year, and this makes them look askanse at SCN's less
friendly Pine/Freeport systems.

The fact that we are FREE to home users is still in our favor.  However,
this raises questions about our target group.  If we are best suited for
homes with computer hookups, maybe we are simply giving a free service to
homes which could purchase it from an IP.  Nice of us, but hardly noble or
an essential social service.

(The poor who only use the library can get e-mail free there, in a
graphical (friendly) format.)

We need to consider SCN goals.  We should think about a series of meeting
to deal with this.

Rich

*****  Unless stated otherwise, this message may be forwarded.  ******