A two-cent fine for Kurt.

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Sun Sep 27 13:44:06 PDT 1998

Kurt,

We're fining you two-cents for your two-cent input. (-:

(We waived an additional two-cent fine for your using "whomever" in the
subjective position ....)

I don't think keyboard versus mouse is necessarily the element that makes
a program user friendly or not.  (I still prefer DOS WordPerfect 5.1, as I
stated).

The difficulty with both Pine and Freeport (more with Pine) is the
convoluted nature of the setup and the inconsistency of commands.  E.g.,
having to get out of Pine to see new mail.  E.g. having to get out of Pine
and Freeport e-mail to get to the work directory (though someone came up
with a way to fool the system).  E.g. Not having a help index so a newbie
can search for specific help. Etc., Etc.

E.g. the fact that commands mean different things in different screens
(^t, ^r, ^j, for example).

Of course one can get used to almost anything.  But one CANNOT teach
almost anything equally easily.

Kurt assumes we are reaching the goal of reaching the have nots.  ON what
does he base that?  If I say we are reaching only 10%, how do we know
which of us is correct?

Our most recent statistic says taht only 50% stay with SCN for 6 months.

Several, of not all, of the board members have other e-mail accounts.

This doesn't mean that the only option is to dump Pine and Freeport.  But
it does mean that we have to consider replacing them, or,

or,

or,

improve the instruction effort.

Kurt, your next SCNA dues will be assessed at $25.02.  (-:

Later,

Rich

*****  Unless stated otherwise, this message may be forwarded.  ******